Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pig, Its what's for dinner!

WARNING! IMAGES INCLUDE GRAPHIC MATERIAL FOR PIG LOVERS. 
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED. 
Our ward had a Luau out and we cooked pigs underground. The pigs came gutted and cleaned and the cooks shoved really hot rocks from the fire into their bodies along with some seasoning and sea salt.
 I spared you the shots of the process. It was kind of gross. But you get the idea.
Then the pigs were wrapped in foil and chicken wire and placed in a fire pit on top of lettuce.
These are the poor little pigs in the fire pit.
Finally to finish off the process we covered the pit with a ton of aluminum foil and wet newspapers to keep all of the heat in and steam the pigs. 
The pigs cooked all afternoon.  After such a gory process, I was pleasantly surprised that the meat was very tasty! 
I just had to erase out of my mind the ealier images of the pigs before they were cooked.

2 comments:

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

I love kalua pig. Did you have long rice with it? When we lived in Hawaii our neighbors killed a cow in their front yard for a Luau, and 5 year old Craig and his friends watched it all and said it was "cool".

val said...

Looks like a great time. I bet your glad that you only get to be at the ward party, and not planning it.