Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thoughts...

This past weekend I have been thinking about people that have shown great courage and strength to me.
My brother that sustained a massive brain injury in a car accident about 13 years ago was in the hospital for a brain bleed last weekend. He is such an inspiration to me with all that he has gone through these years from multiple brain surgeries, physical therapy, medications and the list goes on. He has been rather healthy for the last 5 years with no major hospital stays. So, when he woke up this past Thursday and could not move his left hand and then we were told that he had a hemorrhage in his brain. We all suddenly were alarmed and did not know what would be the outcome of this event. I was so thankful that I was able to go to Boise and be with him.
His hemorrhage has now stopped after slightly increasing in the amount of blood for 2 days and now he is going to be doing physical therapy with the left hand to help with the paralysis. He still does not have function of that hand, but we are thinking positively that he will regain it back. During his hospital stay he was his normal self, easy going and funny self. I am so blessed to have him in my life to remind me of courage and to continue to press on no matter how hard things may be.
When Carter found out that Corey was in the hospital he immediately said that we needed to go see him and make sure he is okay. Carter was very inquisitive about everything in the room and most concerned about the IV in his hand.
The kids in their bed at the hotel room.

I think Corey was thankful that the bed was his protective shield from the kids jumping all over him. It drives Corey crazy when Carter wants to jump on him to give him a hug.

The other person I have been thinking about is my dear friend Erika. She passed away last month and I have been having hard time coming to terms that she is no longer here with us. I was not able to make it to her funeral so it just feels like I have not had closure. As time has gone on I have been thinking about her and what she had gone through. I know that she battled with cancer for 3 years, but I feel I cannot say that she lost her battle with it. I just think that Heavenly Father needed her more than we did. During her battle with cancer she showed great courage and strength and I will always lean on that strength. I will always remember her will to move forward and just take on those cards that are pulled out from under us and continue to shine. She will always hold a special place in my heart!
This photo was taken last summer at Lagoon. We had the best time there together! One of my favorite memories of that day was when we put the dads in charge of the kids and we escaped to ride all the big rides and chatted about life and all the good things.

Carter, Macie and Erika on the log ride at Lagoon.


3 comments:

Brian and Melissa said...

Shannon, You are such a strong and inspiring person. I am happy to hear that your brother is doing better and I pray for him and your family that he continues to improve. My thoughts are with you.

Laura said...

I'm so sorry about Corey, we'll include him in our prayers.

It so wonderful to have people around us that strengthen us with their strength. And they remind us how precious life is.

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

I'm sorry that we were away when you came to Idaho, we would have loved to help.
I know how much you loved Erika and your blog was a beautiful closure for you.